Saturday, October 25, 2008

I heart Boise





















Today was a beautiful day in the City of Trees. In the still crisp air of morning, my daughters played their last soccer game of the season. Later, I took them to the school playground across the street from our home and then to a party at one of Boise's wonderful, verdant municipal parks. I got to soak up the fall weather by going out doorknocking for a few hours this afternoon, which I've done almost every weekend since April. As always, I met some terrific and fascinating folks who made this uninvited guest to their homes feel welcome.

It was a day to be grateful for this incomparable place we call home. And I was reminded of an ode to Boise penned by one of our extraordinary local talents--Idaho's writer-in-residence Anthony Doerr. Anthony has won three O. Henry Prizes, a New York Times Notable Book mention, ALA Book of the Year, among other accolades. He's a brilliant writer. And I'm proud to say that this fellow father of twins is supporting my campaign.

I first saw this "love song to Boise" hanging in the window of the Egyptian Theater. It's from a reading that Anthony did here in town a few years ago. The image comes out a bit small but I believe if you click directly on it, you'll get a slightly enlarged image that's easier to read.

One other note: Anthony's entry in State by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America, according to a recent NY Times Sunday Book Review, is "a gorgeously written ode to Idaho [that] deserves special mention." I'm hoping to get my hands on that soon.

No comments: